All persons owning and/or operating a bicycle or moped under 50cc on the MU campus, and/or skating by use of skateboard, in-line skates, roller skates, roller blades or other skating devices on the MU campus, shall observe and obey all signs and control signals applicable to motor vehicles, all Missouri laws, and these rules and regulations.
Any person skating by board, in-line skates, roller skates, roller blades or other skating device shall adhere to the following rules and regulations.
- Skating of any kind is not permitted in the areas of Student Center Mall, Lowry Mall, Speaker Circle (west side of the Ellis Library), or on the north and south sides of Jesse Hall.
- Skating is not permitted in any of the University parking structures.
- Skating is not permitted in any University building.
- All skaters must yield the right-of-way to pedestrian and vehicular traffic at all times.
- Skating stunts of any kind are not permitted. Skating is not permitted on any steps, retaining walls, landscape walls, benches, handrails, etc. due to damage that may be caused to University property and for personal safety.
Any person who violates any provision of the Bicycle, Mopeds (under 50cc), Scooters, Skating and Skateboarding Regulations may have the bicycle or skate equipment impounded for a period not to exceed five days upon issuance of a receipt to the user or owner.
Bicycles, Mopeds or Scooters
Bicyclists follow the same laws as motorists in Missouri. More info
The City of Columbia requires free bicycle registration. Once completed online, finalize your registration by picking up your sticker at MU Police in Virginia Avenue Parking Structure.
Please do not block accessible ramps or entrances or chain your bicycle to a tree, lamppost or other university maintained property. Park your bicycle or scooter at a bicycle rack.
Bicycles, mopeds and scooters improperly parked or abandoned can be impounded. Contact Surplus Property to claim.
All persons owning and/or operating a bicycle, moped or scooter on the MU campus are required to register them with the MU Police Department.
- Issuance of registration/license stamp shall be effective for the life of the bicycle or moped.
- Every person riding a bicycle, moped or scooter on a roadway shall have all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties of an operator of a motor vehicle, as provided by Missouri Laws and these regulations.
- Bicycles and scooters shall park in, or immediately adjacent to, the bicycle racks provided.
- They shall not be parked on lawns, sidewalks, ramps or entrances accessible to persons with disabilities. Nor shall they be chained to trees, light poles, fences, benches, railings etc.
- Bicycles, mopeds and scooters parked improperly may be ticketed and/or impounded by cutting and removing locking devices if necessary.
- Bicycles, mopeds and scooters shall not be taken inside any University building except as authorized by these regulations. Parking and Transportation Services and the Department of Residential Life have authorized the storage of bicycles and scooters only in University-operated residence halls student rooms.
- Motorized vehicles shall not be taken inside any University building, including residence halls, at any time.
- Bicycles, mopeds and scooters must be dismounted in campus areas where they are prohibited.
- Bicycles, mopeds and scooters considered to be abandoned will be removed by cutting and removing the locking devices, if necessary, and impounded.